3 phones, 3 different readings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3 phones, 3 different readings

Post by august.gresens on February 2nd 2015, 03:55

I've got MLP installed on two iOS devices. The readings do not agree between these devices.

Pointing both devices at a blank wall with diffuse and even illumination, I'm getting a reading of EV 10 with an iPad Mini (iOS 8.x) and an EV of 9 with an iPhone 4 (latest iOS 7 release).

In addition, I'm getting a radically different reading from my Android phone with the free version installed - EV 6.7!

Which one is right? How do I tell? I was hoping this software would help me troubleshoot accuracies with a analog spot meter I have, but I seem to have entered another realm of "meters not agreeing" hell Smile

To add another dimension, my Gossen Luna-Lux with an SBC cell is also reading an EV of 10, while my Soligor Spot Meter II is reading a little over 9.

In short:

iPad Mini and Gossen Agree
iPhone 4 and Soligor Spot Meter agree

Android is insane!

Why are these devices not matching up? Are there system settings that need to be adjusted?

I will note that the iPhone 4 lens is "fogged" a bit. I was surmising that this might be creating flare that would throw off the readings, but I thought an entire stop seemed excessive. Also, the contrast of the scene I am testing is low, which should mitigate the effects of the flare.

Thanks,

August

Note: I did verify that the meter dials match up in terms of the EV readings. In other words, they mean the same thing in terms of the resulting exposures.

august.gresens

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top